Saturday, November 12, 2016

Sugar Detox Day 12

Today was my first real challenge. Our Elder's Quorum had a BBQ dinner for all the adults in the ward. Everyone was encouraged to bring a dessert. I knew there would be a smorgasbord of sugar laid out before and since I knew I would also be hungry from not eating dinner (I'm a vegetarian) I knew this was going to be a real temptation.

At first I asked Drek if we could skip it. Avoiding the temptation is a key strategy. But he was really looking forward to the event, both because of the event and because it would be time away from the kids for us as a couple. And since social situations will always, always be temptations and I can't avoid them forever, we decided to attend.

I looked up a few desserts on Chocolate Covered Katie the day before and decided on unbaked brownies. it seemed easy to share hopefully would be a crowd pleaser. The day of, Drek asked if he could make it for me, because he is a wonderful husband and wanted to be supportive. So he made it. It turned out DELICIOUS! It was not very brownie-like, but it was still a delicious chocolate treat.

My plan was to eat dinner before we left, but our babysitter didn't show up and in the last minute rush to find a new one and get the kids fed and out the door, I forgot to eat.

The event was great. I had a friend there that knows all about my sugar detox and was very supportive. There was a delicious salad of spinach, avocados and strawberries that I got to before the candied almonds were added in. Eating spinach without dressing is sad, but eating avocados is always a happy experience so it balanced out.

Once dessert started I didn't even look at the other choices, I simply helped myself to some unbaked brownie and kept on chatting and enjoying the company.  It really wasn't as hard as I had built it up to be.

Which I think is how I feel about detoxing from sugar in the first place: It really isn't as hard as I had built it up to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

FYI...
If, in your comment, you do not use code names as I do in my blog, I will edit your comment before I post it.