Thursday, July 31, 2008

July BAMC: Ender's Game

My dad is a huge Orson Scott Card fan. Huge. Ender is also a big name in my house. It's a long story, but it's safe to say that if I had a brother, his name, or middle name, or nickname, would have been Ender.
When I was 11 or 12, I read Ender's Game. Besides being shocked that and LDS author would use swear words in his book, I remember not liking the book because of how mean they were to Ender. I have read one or two Card books since then, but have never been excited about his writing.
My mother picked me up from the airport when I arrived home from Texas, and in the back seat of the car was First Meeting in the Enderverse. I read it. I loved it. It made me want to read Ender's Game again. So I did.

July's word was Independence. Yet again, a predictable and unoriginal topic for the month. BAMC, you are disappointing me. Never-the-less, Ender's game fits perfectly with this topic. The book is about Mankind's war against "evil" aliens. They are not so much fighting for Independence as survival, but the methods the human government goes through to win, strip mankind of their independence; The government imposes a rule that only two children are allowed per family, as well as other laws.
Ender is found to be an exceptional child and taken to Battle school, where, similar to all military situations, he has no independence. Later we learn in the book that the aliens communicate with one mind, one thought, one being, and thus, have no individual independence.
This time through, I loved the book. I loved it so much I am now intrigued to keep reading. I think I'll read the rest of the Ender Chronicles. After that, I may just read all of the Card books my dad has in his closet. I'll add them to my book list, right under Phantom and the new Stephanie Meyers book that comes out TOMORROW. Kris and I are going to a midnight party for the book. Hooray!!! Go reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment

FYI...
If, in your comment, you do not use code names as I do in my blog, I will edit your comment before I post it.