Saturday, July 04, 2009

This Feeling Is Not Unlike Pride

Happy Independence Day!
Today was a wonderful day! Drek and I slept in and spent the day doing whatever we wanted. It was very laid back and very fun. In the afternoon my family had planned a get-together and I was in charge of dessert. I made trifle. It turned out so well:

It was also delicious.

We packed it very carefully into a cooler to transport it down to the party. On the way down I used Drek's speakers to play a patriotic playlist on my laptop. I had downloaded some patriotic songs from Amazon. The description was "Military Songs" so I assumed the songs were the different themes of the different branches (The Army Goes Rolling Along, The Marines' Hymn) but they were not. They were running songs. As in, the songs the soldiers sing as they do their drills. They are hilarious. Drek and I had a great time listening to them.

The party was a lot of fun! It was at my sister's apartment. I love hanging out with my niece; She is so cute! My parents were there (which was wonderful; My dad's WBC levels were really low so we weren't sure if he could come) and my little sister was there too. When everyone first arrived we sat around talking until Megan came out to tell us was what written on her shirt. It said "I'm going to be a big sister." SQUEE! Oh! I am so so so excited! Lani is pregnant! She's three months along and due in January! Our babies will only be four months apart! And we are both pregnant at the same time! Oh! I am so excited!

We had pizza and potato salad (it wouldn't be summer without it!) and of course the trifle. We did some fireworks (poppers and sparklers) just to make the celebration official. And then talked for a while. Drek and I stayed after the party was over to play some board games and we had a wonderful time. We had to take slight time-out when Drek got a phone call from his sister; She is pregnant too! I can hardly contain my excitement! She just barely found and it due either in February or March. Hooray! My baby will have cousins it's own age on both sides! Again: SQUEE!! Congratulations to you both!!

It was a wonderful day. It was not how I'm used to spending Independence day, there was no parade, no camping out to see the firework show, no firework show, but I still had a wonderful time.

I took a lot of pictures, but this is the one I think I will post:
This is my dad. He has to wear the mask as an extra immune defense. It cracks me up when he also wears a hat and sunglasses.

No comments:

Post a Comment

FYI...
If, in your comment, you do not use code names as I do in my blog, I will edit your comment before I post it.