Thursday, February 12, 2009

May The Odds Ever Be In Your Favor

I read the book The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. It's a YA book, easy read, and intensely gripping. It's one of those books that sucks you in and you just can't put down. That is, if you can get passed the fact that the idea of the Hunger Games is ludicrous and after 74 years no one has even attempted to manipulate them? Ever? Really?

I would classify it as science fiction, I don't think it actually is though. I think it's classified as action. It's about the future of our world, in the ruins of North America, there are 12 districts and one capitol city. Every year, the capitol makes each district offer two teenagers to play in Hunger Games, which are televised and quite popular. The teenager basically fight to the death, last one standing wins.

It's basically an out-of-control reality show. While I was reading the book I could really see how easy it would be for our culture to become so desensitized to what's on TV that we enjoy watching children kill each other.

I really, really enjoyed the book. I highly recommend it. It's not to graphic or anything and is actually quite deep. It does have a cliffhanger, the next book is called Catching Fire and is released September 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment

FYI...
If, in your comment, you do not use code names as I do in my blog, I will edit your comment before I post it.