Thursday, January 29, 2009

If You Haven't Got Your Health, You Haven't Got Anything.

I'm getting over my sickness. I hate being sick. I really, really do. On the the plus side, Tuesday I only worked a half day, I didn't work at all on Wednesday and today I only wen in for an hour and a half meeting. Tomorrow will also be a half day, and then it's back in the thivk of things on Saturday.

Being sick in bed has given me ample time to watch Jericho (A TV show about how a little town in Kansas deals with the end of the world as we know it, with no fuel, no electricity, and no food). I've also been reading Life As We Knew It, by Susan Beth Pfeffer (yeah, that really is her last name. Put in it all caps and it's even better: PFEFFER. I can't imagine what she went through as a young child trying to write her name). This was a great book. A nail-biting page-turner you hate to put down, but you have to, becasue reading the book makes you hungry and weak and think that you have no food and will never have food ever again, so you have to put the book down to raid the kitchen and eat a lot of food, just to prove you can.
The only thing I didn't like was the ending. I know when authors end books with loose ends teachers will tell you it's becasue they purposly left it up to your imagnation, but I think they just get lazy and decide to stop writing. It's so annoying.

Anyway, the book is about how a family deals with world as we know it, with no fuel, no electricity, and no food. Yeah, so, basically, I have been sucked into the Apocalypse. I find myself thinking about food rationing, medical supplies and such. How bad is it? Let me give you an example:

Yesterday Kara's boyfriend, Jim, stayed over the night at our house. In the morning, Drek got up and I awoke to him and Jim having breakfast. "OH NO!!" I thought shooting straight out bed, "They can't have breakfast! We have to ration the food!" . . . yeah.

Both of the stories have a few things in common: Food is a huge problem, especially since no one has even put a single can away for food storage. The only way people get food is through the charity of the government. As big as a problem as food is, the cold is a bigger problem. Winter is apparently the thing to fear. Chocolate is the ultimate luxury and object to dream about and lust after. All pregnant women die. There are no exceptions.

We have a year's supply of basic food storage. I am slowly collecting other things for our food storage that aren't so basic but still needed. I am still apprehensive. I will feel much better when we live down South and live off the grid, with our own electricity and our own garden.

If the world ended tomorrow I think we could survive for a year, maybe. We could at least survive longer than the people in the book. Come on, two months after the asteroid people have starved to death? Really? In the fall? Two months?

No comments:

Post a Comment

FYI...
If, in your comment, you do not use code names as I do in my blog, I will edit your comment before I post it.