Monday, June 30, 2008

June BAMC: The Kon Tiki

I'm not going to lie: I didn't read very much in June. For most of June, I was waiting for books to read (The Host, Fountainhead) and I did start those books once I FINALLY got them, but I was not a good reader in June.

One of the best things about being married to my husband is that he reads to me. Although we enjoy the same books, we tend to read very different books. When we were first married Drek started reading me his favorite books. This month we read The Kon-Tiki: Across the Pacific in a Raft by Thor Heyerdahl.
This is an amazing adventure. The author of this novel wanted to prove that Polynesia was populated by migrants from Peru. In order to prove this, he built a raft exactly like what he theorized the ancient Peruvians built, and sailed across the Pacific Ocean. The novel is the tale of his incredible journey.
June's BAMC was Knowledge. This book is the perfect book to fit that word, because this man was truly in search of knowledge. Not only did he prove his theory, but the journey also benefited the study of ocean currents, marine life, and ancient civilizations.


I highly encourage everyone to read this book. It is both captivating and educational. Thank you, Drek, for reading me this amazing story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

FYI...
If, in your comment, you do not use code names as I do in my blog, I will edit your comment before I post it.