Thursday, February 17, 2011

Tuesday Ash came down with the flu. In three hours, I had been thrown up on four times and pooped on once. And then Drek came home from work. Ah, the joys of parenting.

Wednesday Ash was sick with a fever. She needed to sleep, but wouldn't sleep unless I was holding her. So, all day we cuddled, napped, and I watched six episodes of Next Generation. I was supposed to be cleaning; Drek's family is coming into town, but instead I just enjoyed that fact that my baby was actually cuddling with me. Is it horrible of me to say I loved her being sick? It was like having a newborn again. It was like having a baby that likes me to hold her. It was fun to push all other obligations and responsibilities aside and just give her exactly what she needed, no exceptions. I loved that.

Today she is better. Not back to her normal self, but she is back to hating cuddling and is well enough to scream when she doesn't get her way. I'm grateful for her good health, but I can be grateful she was sick, too?

3 comments:

  1. You like star trek? That's awesome, I secretly love it but tend to avoid mentioning it to avoid the eternal mocking that would ensue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand what you're saying. A couple of our grand-kids are not cuddly unless they are sick. Our little pilot (RAF) is very independent. So is our Heavenly Flower, the one who shares your sister's name. And the Sunrise child, redhead, likes to hug but not for long. Jack-in-the-box was a cuddly baby but I don't know about now.

    So yeah, you cherish the times they want to cuddle even as you feel sad for their sickness, and clean some other time. Your inlaws had children too; they'll understand if things aren't perfectly clean around your house.

    How fun, now I've got nicknames for at least four of our grandkids. I'll have to think about the other two. I think T might just be "bright eyes."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Star Trek! I also used to avoid mentioning it, but watching TNG has reminded me of how awesome it is, and how nerdy I really am. :)

    ReplyDelete

FYI...
If, in your comment, you do not use code names as I do in my blog, I will edit your comment before I post it.