Wednesday, August 25, 2010

A Way Of Life That Hasn't Changed For Years? Why Should It? Species That Don't Change Die

August is always a fun month for me. I like to think of August as a sort of New Year, but in reverse. For my New Year resolutions I like to make goals so I can improve and expand. In August I like to make a goal giving up something. I have a record of permanently giving something up in August.

Seven years ago, in August, I gave up meat. Seven years ago I sat in Sizzler, eating a steak and I thought to myself "This will be the last meat I ever eat." And it was.

Five years ago I gave up a another habit that I will not detail. Five years! That's a long time!

Last year I gave up Shampoo. My hair has not touched shampoo or conditioner for an entire year. I use baking soda for shampoo and apple cider vinegar, honey and vanilla for conditioner. It works great, I don't have to deal with all those chemicals, I know my products aren't tested on animals and I've saved an estimated $51.49, and that's only if I bought the $0.99 stuff. Last July I was spending $24 for a small bottle of shampoo and conditioner.

This year I think I will give up High Fructose Corn Syrup and Red Dye 40. Both these things will kill you. In the process of making these chemicals...well, bad things happen. Red Dye 40 is a form of petroleum which we need to stop using and HFCS comes from number two corn, which is a MAJOR problem for everyone; the farmers who grow it, the environment, and our health. Not to mention Red Dye 40 is already banned in Europe because is causes major temporary and permanent behavioral problems in children. I'm giving them up with hopes that everyone gives them up and they stop making them. Thus, saving the world.

Most my goals stem from saving the world. If everyone gave up meat, slaughterhouses would cease to exist and the world would be saved (from toxic waste, animal cruelty, antibiotic-resistant germs, carbon emissions and wasting out food on stock instead of ending world hunger) If everyone gave up shampoo, well, the world would be slightly improved (by stopping animal testing, the production of lots of little plastic bottles and keeping those toxic chemicals out of our water system). Mostly I did it to save my hair and a lot of money.

No comments:

Post a Comment

FYI...
If, in your comment, you do not use code names as I do in my blog, I will edit your comment before I post it.