Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Put The Lime In The Coconut

I get our produce from a food co-op. I love it. Fresh farm produce for cheap makes me happy. I can't choose what produce I get, it's just a random box full of fruits and vegetables that I may or may not know how to use.

Last week I got a coconut. A real, actual coconut with the husk and everything. I just spent the last twenty minutes trying to get to the edible parts. What does one do with a coconut? I hammered a few holes in it to drain the water (yum!) and while I was holding it over the bowl, I dropped it, resulting in coconut water splashing all over my shirt, hair and face. I hear coconut is a great conditioner.

So the water was all out, but then what? In LOST, they open coconuts by sticking them on a sharp bamboo shoot and hammering them with a rock. I didn't know where to find bamboo, and couldn't think of a good substitute, so I took it outside, set it on the cement, and hit it with a hammer.

I didn't think it would work, but it actually worked great. Who knew? I am now munching on coconut meat and sipping on coconut water. I am also drenched in the stuff. Maybe I should go change.


No comments:

Post a Comment

FYI...
If, in your comment, you do not use code names as I do in my blog, I will edit your comment before I post it.