Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Humans Would Put Seeds in the Ground, Pour Water on Them, and They Grow Food - Like, Pizza!

Remember back in April when I planted a tomato plant in a global bucket? This was then: 
This is now: 


This gardening thing really works, people.

If you buy plain Spagnum Peat Moss and a bag of Perlite instead of the fancy pre-mixed stuff, it's much, much less expensive. We got it down to less than three dollars per global bucket.

After a few weeks of seeing our tomato plant grow, we decided to plant a few more buckets. And then a few more. And then a few more. I planted two more yellow squash plants today. Currently, we have ten global buckets, one tomato plant in a normal bucket full of backyard dirt (which is doing well) and one small normal bucket full of special dirt and herb seeds. We also have a garden that we actually planted in the ground in our backyard. Crazy, I know, but we are forward thinkers in this household.

We have Cauliflower in a Global Bucket:


and potatoes in the ground. The potatoes are doing amazingly well. I am thrilled for our potatoes.
 Our cucumber plant is also doing well in the ground. I am excited for it to grow a cucumber because I recently discovered that cucumbers can be called "cukes" and I would like to try this out.

Our row of onions:

Baby tomatoes that will one day grow into a my tomato basil soup.

Toddler tomatoes growing on our tomato plant-in-a-normal-bucket.

We also planted an avocado tree (not in a bucket) and will plant a few more trees in a few more days. I'm hoping to get some raspberry bushes in this year, but we'll see. It's a work in progress. 

2 comments:

  1. You might be able to grow oranges and lemons where you live. Looks like fun! I love watching things grow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate your stupid tomatoes.

    Hate.



    (Mine very died. Strawberry still appears to live, but barely. Stupid stupid stupid ... stupid things.)

    ReplyDelete

FYI...
If, in your comment, you do not use code names as I do in my blog, I will edit your comment before I post it.