Sunday, May 22, 2011

Come, All Ye Saints of Zion, And Let us Praise the Lord

I have never considered myself a "church person". As a kid, I usually tried to get out of going to church. As a pre-teen I remember being astonished at the stories my cousin told of things she did on Sunday (you mean it's like another Saturday? You get to do whatever you want? TWO Saturdays?) As a rebellious teenager coming back to church after two years I remember thinking "Three hours? Are they crazy? I'm not sitting still for three hours after a week of classes." Three hours was hard. I squirmed, I tried to get out of it, but mostly I knew church was where I was supposed to be and I was usually dragged there by good people.

I married one of those good people. My husband is awesome. In so many ways, he makes me a better person. One of those ways is by taking me to church every Sunday. Sometimes he drags me, sometimes I'm excited to go, but he makes sure I am where I need to be.

After going to church for a long time, I started to see why church is so important. It came slowly, week by week, year by year, but I understand more and more what people mean when they say they look forward to church. They feel recharged by church, refreshed by the classes and renewed by the Sabbath. I understand more and more the yearning people have for Sunday, for a day of rest, for church and for learning the gospel. The more I went to church, the more I understood why I went to church.

Today I am sick. So is my daughter and my husband. So we stayed home, fearing we would spread our sickness to the entire congregation. At first I was excited, even a little giddy: "Hooray! A we get to stay home today! Drek is letting me stay home!" But then I was sad, and, startlingly, I even missed church. I find myself yearning for that spiritual renewal. I know church with a toddler is ridiculous and I'm either in the halls or in nursery anyway, but even still, there is a peace there that builds me up. It recharges me for the week. It gives my hope. It keeps me going. It has taken me a long time to find that peace, to recognize it, but I am so glad I did. I'm so glad I have church. I can't wait to go next week.

1 comment:

  1. I love your comments. I did not know there was a time you did not go at all.

    I used to tell my children that the times they least want to go are the times when they will hear what they most need to hear. That's the way it is for me, anyway. I get up and really don't want to go, and drag myself out, and then a speaker says something that is just what I needed that week.

    On weeks you absolutely have to miss, there is music on the internet, conference talks, manuals, scriptures, and materials. Not the same as being there but better than nothing.

    ReplyDelete

FYI...
If, in your comment, you do not use code names as I do in my blog, I will edit your comment before I post it.