Wednesday, March 14, 2012

The Airport Stairway Vehicle is the Last Vestige of the Bluth's Former Wealth. Also, That House Of Pies Went Out of Business

Happy Pi Day! 

First, A story: 

When I was in elementary school, I was given coupons for one free slice of pie at a restaurant called Frontier Pies. I can't remember what I was being rewarded for, but I got a coupon at least once a year for several years. 

We would only go to Frontier Pies when I had a coupon, and every time I would order a slice of Cherry Chocolate Pie. I thought it was the most amazing pie in the world. Alas, one time I went in and was informed that Cherry Chocolate Pie was no longer on the menu. 

A few years later the place closed (probably because they stopped serving Cherry Chocolate Pie, if you ask me) So I was unable to go in and ask them for their recipe. Subsequent internet searches have also failed.  

I have tried to imitate that pie. I've tried it using different brands of instant chocolate pudding, and Cook and Serve Jello pudding. I've tried cherry pie filling from a can, and frozen cherries. One year a baker (my wonderful boss) even made me a Cherry Chocolate Pie for Christmas. All these attempt have come close, but just haven't tasted like what I remember. 

For this Pi Day, I had it in my head to try a Cherry Chocolate Pie purely from scratch: homemade pie dough, a fresh bag of cherries pitted and cooked to turn into the filling, melted chocolate to make homemade pudding... And then I ran out of time. Also, cherries aren't in season. 

So I bought a Kroger pre-made frozen crust, can of cherry pie filling and box of instant chocolate pudding. 

Bingo. That was it. It tasted exactly right. 

but, I'm getting ahead of myself. For breakfast, we had egg pie, otherwise known as quiche: 

 Mushrooms, spinach, bacon bits, cheese, yum!

For dinner we had a vegetable pot pie. I found the recipe this year, and this is my forth time making it. It is delicious! It's super healthy (whole wheat crust!) and super easy:
 

In preparation for this year's pie eating contest, I made tart-size chocolate cream pies and tart sized banana cream pies:

 Finally, it was party time! Each guest brought a pie, so there were plenty to choose from:


 

We had strawberry, peach, apple, lemon meringue, pumpkin, mini ice cream pies and, of course: 

 
The Cherry Chocolate Pie. 


To start, we had our pie-eating contest:


and a winner!

Some people think pie-eating is a leisure activity: 


 After that we ate pie, talked, and then ended the night with a game of 90's trivial pursuit (because the game pieces are little pies!) It was a good thing we were playing on large teams (boys vs girls) so wasn't put on the spot. Most of time I didn't even know to what the card was referring. Girls still won, though!

If only there had been a question about the recipe for Frontier Pie's Cherry Chocolate Pie. I would have looked like a genius.

6 comments:

  1. You guys are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a good idea! I should have made a pie! Not that I eat them anymore, being gluten-free, dairy-free, mostly sugar-free....

    Pizza is pie too, did you know? So you can serve pizza for pi day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. STOP MAKING YOUR LIFE LOOK LIKE SO MUCH FUN

    ReplyDelete
  4. Frontier Pies closed?! What!!!?

    ReplyDelete
  5. So you were hiding this blog from me all this time... did you know I'd find you out? AND on top of this your are a closet Arrested Development fan?

    Hmm... holding out on me, eh?

    So, on the Frontier Pies thing... David and I used to go to Frontier Pies when we first moved to Idaho Falls. Very sad when it closed. No one serves pie at restaurants anymore (not real pie, anyway, just those big gigantic things). It's a lost art.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Giggle giggle. I AM an Arrested Development fan. I didn't know you were too!

    ReplyDelete

FYI...
If, in your comment, you do not use code names as I do in my blog, I will edit your comment before I post it.