Wednesday, September 29, 2010

This is Yet Another Example of the Late Neoclassic Baroque Period. And, As I Always Say, "If It's Not Baroque, Don't Fix It!"

We are trying to buy a house. In order to do this, we have to first look at a lot of houses. I'm not going to try and pretend this is a chore. I LOVE looking at houses. I love looking through photos of houses online, mapping them on gmaps to see what parks are closest, and looking at virtual tours. The best part is when I can actually physically walk through a house. Nothing inspires my imagination like a floor plan. I know, I'm weird.

This week my wonderful friend, Mandy, arranged for a bunch of us moms to take our kids on a tour or the fire station. The group consisted of four moms who had two boys each, and also me and my daughter. It was comical.

The fireman were super nice and took us on a tour of the dorms, the office, the classroom and then...


The kitchen. The wall you can't see is nothing but shelves and shelves of dishes, cookware, silverware. There is also a pantry. The other wall you can't see has four brand-new, top-of-the-line refrigerators.

I really must spend too much time viewing prospective places to living because this was my first thought went I saw the kitchen; "I'll take it. This is the perfect house."

Of course, it's not a house. It's a fire station. But, come on! A great location next to a park, A nice entryway, six small bedrooms, a huge family room, a dream kitchen and dining room, and a nice (very nice) garage. It's just what I'm looking for! Well, I'm not really looking for a house with six bedrooms, or a gigantic garage, or a kitchen with four refrigerators, but still.

The fireman explained that when you're a fireman and start your shift, you come in, do chores (including sweeping, mopping, taking out the trash...) and if you didn't bring your own dinner, you chip in $5 for one fireman to buy groceries and cook everyone a meal. You sleep in your little dorm, you play in the "family room" with it's huge flat screen, it's easy chairs and it's hundreds of games and DVDs and you occasionally save some lives.

I want to be a fireman. Alas, I'm not sure I'd look in the required uniform.
It's a little terrifying.

No comments:

Post a Comment

FYI...
If, in your comment, you do not use code names as I do in my blog, I will edit your comment before I post it.