Wednesday, February 01, 2017

A Year of No Yelling Day 32 Featuring Progress, Girl Scout Cookies, and Homeless Teenagers

Today is one month since I started the No Yelling Challenge. It's also been one month since I went off sugar (despite a few slip-ups).

I'm feeling good about the No Yelling Challenge. I feel I've made some real progress! I feel I've learned some valuable things. I feel like I've grown as a person and hopefully that will translate into being a better mother. I'm still working on it. I've messed up a lot, but that's ok, I've succeeded a lot too. Progress has been made, and my goal is continue making progress.

I'm not feeling so great about no sugar. Why am I not feeling as awesome as I was in November? If  I don't get all the amazing benefits of no sugar, I'm not really sure it's worth it. Girl Scout Cookie Season has started and I want a Thin Mint! Ok, that was a lie. I don't want a Thin Mint, I would like to eat an entire case of Thin Mints. With milk. So yummy.

Today I left Drek to put the two oldest kids to bed and took Tabs to a church women's activity. We were helping a charity that works with homeless teenagers. We collected clothes, made hats and scarves (I knitted a scarf!) and made lots and lots of burritos. Serving these homeless teenagers made me reflect on how they came to be homeless. It also made me wonder about my precious little children. What if they become homeless teenagers? What choices do they made that the result is being homeless? Is it really their choice? Or the choice of their parents? I'm sure every situation is different and there isn't a simple answer in any situation. But thinking about it did bring me to the oversimplified yet profound conclusion that we need more love. more love for our parents, more love for our children, more love for ourselves. We need more love for strangers and more love for those around us. It won't solve homelessness, but it would make the world a better place.

No comments:

Post a Comment

FYI...
If, in your comment, you do not use code names as I do in my blog, I will edit your comment before I post it.