Thursday, June 30, 2011

Remember, You are the Dreamer, You Build This World

How to build a Frankencoop: 

Step 1: Find a structure resembling a deep bookcase by the side of the road with a "free" sign attached. Take it home. 

Step 2: Find cabinet doors and hinges by the side of the road with a "free" sign attached. Take them home. 

Step 3: Find a discarded wooden pallet next to dumpster. Take it  home. 

Step 4: Find free chicken wire. Staple chicken wire to the bookcase to make the floor. 


Step 5: Attach cabinet doors with the hinges. Attach laminate left over from previous floor project. 

Step 6: Set up chicken yard by using a dog kennel the previous owners left in your backyard.

Step 7: Set up coop around the kennel by making legs out of wooden pallet. Make sure the whole thing is secure with chicken wire, lattice, cinderblocks and bricks, or whatever else you happen to have lying around. 
Step 8: Make nesting boxes out of 5 gallon buckets, padding and fresh cut grass.

Step 9: Add ramp: 
Step 10: Add chickens: 

3 comments:

  1. Way to go! I hope they lay good eggs!

    You can use straw for the bedding as well. A bale of straw goes a long way and helps keep the eggs clean and dry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a good idea. I'm gonna try this 10 step program.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lia said:

    You got chickens! Oh man, I know next time we are in Sunland and I drive down to visit you my dad is going to want to come! He loves to check out other people's chickens/coops to get ideas for his. =) Although, it is kind of sad that you didn't get to raise them from chicks. But then again, that is a lot of work and you have to buy the special heat lamp so it's probably better this way.

    (edited by me)

    ReplyDelete

FYI...
If, in your comment, you do not use code names as I do in my blog, I will edit your comment before I post it.